2020 Traverse City Prospect Tournament cancelled

Stupid pandemic

Today, the Detroit Red Wings announced that the 2020 Traverse City NHL Prospect Tournament has been cancelled. The Red Wings are also moving their 2020-21 training camp to Little Caesars Arena in Detroit as a result of concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“The health and safety of our fans, players and staff is our top concern,” said Red Wings general manager Steve Yzerman in the team’s release. “Based on discussions with local health experts, we have decided to hold our 2020-21 training camp at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit. We look forward to returning to Traverse City next year. The Traverse City community is extremely hospitable to our organization, and Centre Ice Arena is an ideal location for us to hold our events each September.”

The New York Rangers have sent their prospects to the Traverse City tournament for years. It has served as an interesting if imperfect barometer of how prospects measure up against each other and where they might be in their development. Of course, the tournament is brief and there’s very little structure in regards to strategy and tactics introduced to players during training camp.

In 2019, Adam Fox and Kaapo Kakko turned a lot of heads in Michigan with their performances in the tournament before beginning their rookie NHL campaigns. Last year’s tournament ran from Sept. 6 to Sept. 10. The Rangers’ prospects finished in fifth place after defeating the St. Louis Blues’ prospects by a score of 5-3 in the fifth place game on Sept. 10.