Discussion of the Day: 9/27/23

Hello everyone, and happy Wednesday. Sorry again for yesterday’s mishap, I had a very busy day in the real world 8 to 5 and never thought to check, and then once the preseason game was over I ended up logging in to put this together and just went oh shit… But we are back on the rails, for now, and ready for another discussion prompt.

Where do you think Kaapo Kakko will start the season for the Rangers?

So far in training camp Kakko has been part of a few different lines.

During Tuesday’s preseason game he skated on a line with Brennan Othmann and Trocheck, and early on it appears that the coaching staff likes the idea of Kakko and Trocheck as a duo. Trocheck was the No. 2 center last year who had an impressive first season as a member of the Rangers, and early on it appears he could be the team’s No. 3 center with Filip Chytil supplanting him on the second line.

Kakko’s main strength to date has been defense and puck possession, and sticking him with Trocheck could create an elite “third line” that is a pain in the ass to play against, and always threat to score. It would also give Kakko a chance to have the puck more and shoot, because if he were to start on a line with Mika Zibanejad and Chris Kreider he’d be a secondary option on the line.

In terms of role, Trocheck likes to get under people’s skin, can play a decent two-way game, and has shown a willingness to hang around the net and deflect pucks. He is also a pretty decent passer, and having Kakko as a left-handed shot on the right wing would open up some one-timer opportunities off the rush. Obviously we’d need to see who the other winger is to get a full sense of what role everyone is going to play, but I think it is safe to say that Kakko and Trocheck will be a thing to start.

But is that the best spot for him? Do you think something else would work better? Let us know in the comments, and I hope you have a great Wednesday!