Discussion of the Day: 9/29/23

The New York Rangers took on the New Jersey Devils on Thursday and fell to their Hudson River rival by a score of 3-2. The game was tied 1-1 after 40 minutes of play, Louis Domingue gave up a quick goal in relief of Igor Shesterkin, the Devils added an empty-net goal with time winding down, and Brennan Othmann scored on a 6-on-5 situation.

The lineup include a mix of veterans and some youngsters fighting for a roster spot, and here’s a list of players who skated for reference excluding the goalies I named above.

From this list of players, who was most notable in a positive or negative way?

We are nearing the end of the preseason, and I’d expect the lineups to start getting a little more serious. While we don’t want to make too much out of these exhibition contests, I am curious what the readers think. Personally I thought Brennan Othmann and Will Cuylle were noticeable in a positive way, and if neither make the team out of camp I am optimistic in what they can do in the AHL to start the season.

It may be something that’s part of his personality or just something random entirely, but I thought it was funny that when the camera cut to Othmann after he scored to make it 3-2 with seconds left in the period that he was all business and practically had a scowl on his face.

He’s got a lot riding for him in the preseason and is doing everything in his power to make a positive impact, and it’s just a random thing that stuck out to me.

That said, I am interested in what you all think, and hope you have a great Friday and weekend. See you again here on Monday.